THIS TEFL Documents POST IS FROM 12/15/2015.
1.CONDITIONS MIGHT CHANGE IN THE FUTURE.
2. The process to obtain TEFL Documents can be different in your location.
Please contact me if you did anything differently
- TEFL Certificate – 2.5 Months (Can apply to jobs before class is over. Attach “letter of good standing” to email you send the interviewer)
- Background Check – 26 days
- Diploma Apostille – 1 Day
The websites I read were very in depth and helpful to me completing my process. No need to reinvent the wheel.
Three different TEFL Documents Needed
- TEFL Certificate – Class started 8/3/15 Ended 10/16/15 PAID:7/31/15 $945
- International TEFL Academy
- For South Korea TEFL Certificate is not mandatory, although it is getting more competitive. Almost on the verge of mandatory. Contact me to get my cost benefit analysis on the TEFL program.
- FBI National Background check Timeline START: 9/3/15 END:9/29/15 TOTAL $: 148.47
- Fingerprinting – Cumberland County Jail – Only accept MONEY ORDERS – 9/3/15 $21.25
- Mailed 2 sets of Fingerprints to FBI Channeler Check made out to NBCI $65.00 9/3/15
- Received email from NBCI pdf version 9/10/15
- Received hard copy results 9/16/15
- Sent out Background check to get Apostilled (Check – $55.00) sent out: 9/16/15
- US Authentication
- Sent priority there. Enclosed an envelope. Standard stamp back $7.22 received back –9/27/2015
- Diploma Apostille START: 9/18/15 END: 9/18/15 TOTAL $: 6.10
- Where to get this? How to Apostille Documents
- Need to get notarized first! I went to the bank and it was free
- Then I went to the Rhode Island Secretary of State to get the apostille $6.10
Need the following in addition to the TEFL Documents:
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Introductory Video
Grrrtraveler does a great job of going in depth. If you still have questions after reading this post please take a look. I am sure you will find the answer.
So I “spent” $1099.57 on TEFL Documents. You could spend as little as $154.57 and teach in South Korea. However, most Asian countries you do need a certification. So if you are exploring other countries it would be to your advantage to get a certificate. Spent is in quotes because yes it is money out of my pocket but my pay grade was higher because I have a TEFL.